8 April 2014

Life Update ^^ (mainly uni)

Wow, I've been meaning to update - but then I never did.
But then I actually was going to but I couldn't sign into Google because my Monash log in would pop up~
Finally sorted it out :)

So.
There's still my hair dye post, sydney and a post for starting uni? Oh - I'll just pop that in here~

WELL (to actually start now)



I'm currently studying a double degree in Pharmacy and Commerce with Monash University. It's a really long course with 6 years + intern year - (Pharmacy's so traditional and strict that you keep the whole 4+1 years and you just end up shortening the 3 year Commerce course to 2 years...).
I'm stuck in this tiny little campus (bad) just out of the city (good). People don't even know we're there. We've pretty much only got 4 buildings, with 2 cafes and a common room. Our library is smaller than my school library..
Somehow though, we still manage to get lost every now and then - the building codes are confusing and take time getting used to ^^
The course is really strict and everything's pretty much compulsory (minus lectures but you need the marks from answering questions) and the time table changes weekly - and you don't get to choose your time table at all.

hmm. for those thinking of choosing this course? - assuming that someone found this blog post hey woah
Apparently it depends more on your application form then your ATAR (well, in reason) and if you score below a 9/15 on the form, they don't really look at your application. UNLESS YOU SCORED PRETTY DAMN HIGH
so - just saying, there are some pretty lost people in my course, and people that look like their lost - but then they say something and it's like. woah hold up - I misjudged you, you're smart.
I've heard there's someone in the year above who made it in with an ATAR of 80? but he has to study to keep up and is from an under-represented school. um. Then there's people with 99+ who have scholarships (make sure you befriend them because they can help :D ) I think most people in the single degree of Pharmacy have low 90s, and the Pharmacy & Commerce - uh, mid 90s? - I'm assuming. I don't know that many people doing the double. When I attended this lecture for Pharmacy, they said aim for 95 for the single and 98 for the double (but really, there's supposedly 200 places for Pharm and 60 for PharmComm, but only about 150 students in my year level, so get around 90 and right a good application form and - BAM! you'll probably get in).

So - my first couple of weeks at uni?
The first day, my tour was run by this dopey mentor named Nick who was just so out of it. My group (with Nicole - SHOUTOUT - yay bffl) was pretty quiet and this whole week we didn't really make that many friends. Nick's actually pretty cool and smart and stuff, just really laid back ^^
So the tour didn't really teach us heaps and we didn't really make a lot of friends.

Tuesday - urgh I regret taking so long to write this because I've forgotten so much. We ended up joining the Amazing Race (based off the the TV show) - but our mentor wasn't doing it, so we got shuttled into this other group filled with mentors and 3 international kids. We ended up coming second (so damn close D:), and made friends. with the mentors. not the kids in our year D: why.

Wednesday was more lectures, and attempting to make friends and this little 'Pharmolympics' event where we basically played group games.
Also - there was this instagram competition to win a free boat cruise ticket for MPSU (our student union) which I won! So that happened Friday night, and yeah - made friends, it's always easier to talk to people after a couple of drinks ..

The first week of uni, I came back and it was really easy to make friends all of a sudden ^^ I run the Facebook group, I find it pretty easy to talk to people (I think I've become more extrovert) and I've got a solid friendship group in the makings and everything's just so. good. :3
In academic aspects - uh. there's a lot of work, which you can do if you want.. Like all uni courses, it's just a matter of keeping on top of the theory and memorising EVERYTHING. and assignments - try not to leave it to too late (but honestly, it's just like high school except it moves really fast and you need to do a lot of prep for classes)
In more social events - the mentors held a couple of nights and the clubs are always doing something - I went to a couple (there's one tonight, but I said I'd study... I haven't studied yet). I'd recommend going to them and just meeting new people, having fun, you know ^^.
Oh - and camps. I didn't go to any, but definitely something you should go to - even if you don't drink!

That's really it. I didn't really plan this post so it's really just whatever I was thinking as I typed..
Oh, also since there's only 9 clubs on campus, feel free to tram down to University of Melbourne to join their clubs ^^ or for food during breaks and so on (y)

weow. so
I tried - what a block of text- I didn't take many photos.
#soz #notsoz.

faithfully,
Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment