28 December 2014

Mum's 50th


Just this past Friday A while ago (because I wrote it and forgot to post) was my lovely mother's 50th birthday - halfway to a century! So we planned some things for her :)
I think the funniest part coming out of this, was that we ended up with three cakes. One on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.


:3
On Thursday, mum had gone shopping and I realised there was a cake in the fridge - I was all, okay - yeah birthday. Cake. All good - but then I realised that meant she'd bought her own cake ^^ and it was a cheesecake! Which, a couple days earlier, I'd been asking for (she doesn't even like cheesecake that much). I told Dad when he got home, and we just laughed at Mum - she was so embarrassed - she thought we'd forgotten ^^.


Ahu
So then on Friday, I popped down to Via Veneto to pick up the second cake - a Flourless Orange cake - (coincidentally from the same store as the cheesecake) and we lit candles and sung Happy Birthday over that. It was a pretty simple day, with my brother and I, and my dad at work for most of the day.

Most of the aunts on mum's side ft. an overstuffed nam.
I gave my Mum a copy of Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl which I'd seen the movie of and heard mum talking about earlier. My brother, bless him, got mum a icing spatula after I told him that hers had gone missing. Dad got Mum a beautiful pair of studs - you know what kind ;) - which he made me wrap and wrap - until she had to open at least 7 boxes and layers of wrapping to get her present.

A classic Vu

On Saturday, we headed down to Langham Hotel to dine at the Melba Restaurant. It's a go-to restaurant for us for any celebration - however, with some planning ahead, we had our uncle call Mum to tell her that he'd won the Tattslotto and was inviting us out to celebrate. So heading to Melba all dressed up with no expectations, and all of a sudden my Aunties from Sydney jump out and scare my mum! and then we head off to an closed off area where there's so many of my Aunts and Uncles from both sides of the family, and my two Grandmas (one who also flew down from Sydney). It was just such a great night and we ate so much and took so many photos (unfortunately we didn't have any of the cousins so my family were the only kids there-). And we had the third - and the biggest - cake ever. Which we didn't even eat - and I'm not sure if it's been cut yet. hahaha :)
All looking in different directions but this was the best one.. :)
So I swear I wrote this ages ago and was going to post it in the middle of the week but my monash account wouldn't let me log on and I got really busy and went overseas and got really busy so ahem.

faithfully,
Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment